Monday, July 26, 2010

I remember being that age!

As my children have found their way into adulthood, I have found myself in that puzzling place where I think of them as the "kids" yet I remember being that age and feeling like anything but a "kid". I cook for them and do their laundry and baby them and they like that. They like that EXCEPT when they suddenly want to exert their independence. I hear " I am an adult. I don't need you to do A, B, or C." I hear "I can take care of myself. I don't need you to wonder when I will be home." I hear these things from the same people who text me "Mama, what are you fixing for dinner?" and "Mama, will you make cookies?" and "Did you wash my work shirts?". I think there needs to be a manual detailing things that mothers are allowed and not allowed to do for children over the age of 18. I try to give them room. I really do remember being that age. I remember thinking that I did not need anyone to tell me what to do anymore. However, I was also married and a mother when I was 20. Do I wish that for either of my grown children? NO. NO. Ten times NO. I do, however, wish they understood some of that responsibility. They need to understand that they can't really have it both ways. Kid on one side and adult on the other. To quote one of my favorite movies, "You can't ride two horses with one ass, sugarbean.", please make my kids/adults understand that!

No comments:

Post a Comment